Rant No.4

I hate doing these sort of blog posts... They're boring, normally pointless and mostly show how bad my grammar can be. But I have a million ideas for my FNP (final negotiated project) and they need honing down some. Here goes…

Over the past year I have realised that I despise all things digital - not so much the outcome, but the process, it feels very impersonal and at times tedious. The briefs and ideas that I have enjoyed the most have always been those which are hands on - So, for my FNP, no matter what I decide it HAS to be hand crafted. In some way shape or form. One idea that is jumping out at me currently is a re-brand/promotion campaign of arts and crafts fairs. The stereotypical idea of these fairs are normally old ladies picking up bits of fabric to make their grandchildren scarf’s or novice artist flogging off their hand made coffee mugs - Which I'm all for. It is exactly the type of design I love - But very often is looked down upon. It doesn’t really get any credit, which is understandable - it's very much a novice area of design.

What I want to try and achieve, somehow, is kill these classic connotations. Be it with new and clever ways to promote art and crafts or an entire branding of a new art and crafts fair. Promotion I feel is defiantly my strong point, but the idea of creating, marketing, promoting and branding a whole new art and crafts event/company could be pretty awesome, daunting, but awesome.

What I really want to achieve is a raising profile of hand made design to younger audiences – not so much youth marketing, but creating a new face of the art and crafts style of design. Maybe by showing audiences what can be created with everyday objects or by simply promoting the idea of design through craft… Early days with this I think. The two things that are jumping straight out at me for inspiration already though, sock puppets and my old faithful friends at Knit and Natter…




No comments: