Rant No.1

OK, this is about the be the first of many pointless posts over the next few weeks. I seem to have a million ideas in my head and I think the only way I can straighten them out is by bloggin - I guess this is why I started this thing in the first place...

Anyway, I've learnt over the past few months that I favour two styles - simplistic illustrative graphics that I have been working with within my drawing and Knit and Natter project. And the far more complex and least experimented area of three-dimensional graphics, I've approached this briefly with my 02 project earlier this year and my chewing gum campaign - but overall this is definitely an area of design that If I plan to approach in my 3rd year will need alot of thought and attention.

With that in mind my thoughts are to think of brief that will really allows me to experiment and create a range of outcomes - not only to expand my portfolio (which so far, I'm really not that impressed with) but really get my teeth into this area of design. I recently had a book bought for me by a friend... Stefan Sagmeister's `Things I have learned in my life so far`



The main thing that I love about it is the vast amount of work, all of it simple, but really well done. The idea is as simple as the title, an account of what the designer has learnt so far - simple quotes presented in a range of environments. It is ideas that are as simple and genuine as this that I really enjoy...

My plan from the start was a project that revolved around music - how people listen and engage music, how I, myself approach music. Not so much literally, but what drives people to listen to the music they do and the ways they do it. It's a difficult thing to approach something as personal as a persons musical taste - everyone has their own thing.

Its these sort of ideas I want to work on visually in as many different ways as possible. I have a few ideas of how I could do this, but nothing that is really jumping out at me so far. I've got a stack of books just waiting to be looked through bursting with inspiration - Hopefully with time and alot of reading I might be able to find that missing link of how to present this idea...
That's if I don't end up coming up with another by tomorrow!

No comments: